Wednesday, October 23, 2019

70th Birthday Cards

Good morning

I was asked by a friend to make 2 birthday cards for her Mum who was turning 70 and she wanted to include some photos in the cards. One was to be from her and her husband and one was to be from her children.

These are the two cards I made for her.

You can see the video here.


The first card is the one for the children to give their grandmother. I made a twist and pop card using a tutorial I saw on YouTube by Alicia McNamara at Papercraft Secrets. You can see her video here.

Each of the cards are 6" x 6" and cut from 300gsm White cardstock.

The papers used on this first card are a 6 1/2" paper pad from Kaisercraft's Secret Garden range.

I chose 4 papers and attached them to the inside and outside of the card base.


Inside I have the pop and twist section that I have made from white cardstock. I cut a piece 4" x 12" and scored it at 3", 6" and 9" and then folded it so I had a mountain fold at the 6" score line and a valley fold at the other two score lines. 

I then covered three of the sections with patterned paper. I did not put any patterned paper on the first section because the photo I was going to attach there was the full size of the panel. The photos for the other sections were smaller so I attached white cardstock photo mats to the patterned paper so the photos would stand out nicely from the background.

I die cut a couple of different sized scalloped hearts using my Do Crafts Scalloped Hearts die and used them to lightly decorate the photo panels. I was careful to not add too much bulk because I wanted to be sure that the card would close properly when the photos were added.



The actual mechanism that attaches the pop out piece to the card is a bit difficult to explain and you can see it clearly in the video but I will try explaining it here.

Start by cutting a piece of cardstock 8" x 3", using a pencil make a mark at 2 1/4" and 5 3/4", rotate your cardstock and make a mark at the same measurements on the opposite edge. Score at 4"

Rotate your cardstock on your scoreboard and score at 1 3/4" on the 3" edge.

Use a pencil and ruler and lightly draw a diagonal line between two of the marks you have made on the cardstock. One mark at the top and one at the bottom. Do the same with the other two marks so you end up with a pencil line cross that intersects at the centre point of the mechanism. Score along both of these lines

Make a mountain fold of the centre score line that runs through the 8" length

Then make a valley fold for the two diagonal folds.

Fold the centre of the mechanism up into a mountain fold at the same time as you bring the two ends down and towards each other. This makes a shape like a house with a pointy roof. The bottom part of the house is in two sections

Measure up 1 1/4" from the bottom of one of the legs and draw a line across then flip the house over and draw a line 1 1/4" up on the opposite leg.

Attach double sided tape to each section from the bottom, up to the line.

Take your folded pop up section and place it between the two leg and lay it down. Use the tape to attache the two parts together being careful to centre the pop up piece between the leg section.

Using your ruler and a pencil make a mark at the 3" mark on the inside fold of the card base.

Attach the pop up piece with the point of the roof on this mark. I used both d/sided tape and glue just to be sure it would stick well. Once you have one side stuck down, close the card to attach the other side.

As I said this is a bit hard to describe and hopefully I have covered all of the steps but please if you are going to try this, check out the video first.

To decorate the front of the card I have covered it with some tulle, then used Tim Hotlz's Tattered Florals die to create a flower (the process for this is in the video as well) a doily, some leaves I have cut from patterned paper using Tim Holtz's Tattered Leaves die and some fabric leaves from Manor House.


The greeting is clear stickers from Kaisercraft that I have attached to some patterned paper, mounted on some foam squares and then attached to the card. The 70th was cut using Apple Blossom Large Numbers and Suffixes die and some of the patterned paper. To finish the card off I added a few blue sequins to the card front.

The papers for the second card are from 13@rts. The chipboard is from Little Birdie, the resin was made by me and the paper flowers are also from 13@rts I think. The lace is from my stash, given to me by my Mother


I decided on a "shabby chic" look for this card. I tore the two patterned papers so they were slightly smaller than the layer they were to go on top of and then inked the edges with a Cinnamon ink pad from Versa Colour.

I had a piece of velum with gold text on it so I added that as my top layer.

I trimmed the chipboard down to fit across the card and then attached it to a dark piece of patterned paper so it stood out from the background nicely.


I attached all of these layers to the card base, also attaching the lace under the chipboard backing as I went.

Using the flowers and fussy cut leaves I formed my floral cluster and attached it with my hot glue gun.

I also used my hot glue gun to attach the resin heart.


To create the greeting I used a stamp that came with a magazine I had purchased and my black Stazon ink and stamped onto a piece of white cardstock that had been die cut into a label shape. Once again I used my hot glue gun to attach this.

On the inside of the card I used some patterned paper to mat the photo and attached that to the left hand inside section and on the right hand section I attached some patterned paper where my friend can write her personal greeting.

Whoa what a long post. If you have read all the way to hear, thank you for staying with me.

Don't forget to check out the video. If you enjoy my videos I would love it if you would subscribe to my channel.

Until next time
Hugs
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment