Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Three Fun Fold Cards

Good morning.

Today I am sharing three cards I made using my DT supplies for March from KS4U.

They are all Double folds, Double Gate Fold, Double Zig Zag and Double Z Fold

KS4U are having a huge 40% off everything (except paper) until 20th March. You will find their stores here and here.

They still have some the large boxes of assorted flowers for sale too. Only $25USD plus postage gets you over 3 lbs of flowers, you also go in the draw for to win a $50USD store credit to spend on whatever you like.

You can find the flowers here 

Back to the cards

All of the patterned papers used on these cards is from the 8.25" x 11.5" Prima paper pad called Lyric, such pretty muted colours.

Card No 1. Double Z Fold card


All of the patterned papers on this card have had the edges distressed with my Prima Distressing tool and inked with a black ink cube.

I have cut two pieces of white cardstock to create the base. One is 11" x 5.5" and one is 9.25" x 4.25"

The larger one is scored at 2.75" and 5.5 " on the 11" edge and the smaller one is scored at 2.75" and 5.5" on the 9.25" edge

Each piece is folded the same- fold at the 5.5" score mark first and then fold at the 2.75" score mark away from the centre of the card.

I chose two patterned papers from the pad. 
The first sheet was cut at 5.25" square and two pieces 5.25" x 2.5". This is attached to the 5.5" x 11" card base.
The second sheet of patterned paper was cut to 4" square and two pieces 4" x 2.5" and attached to the smaller cardstock piece

I folded both pieces and slid the smaller piece between the folds of the larger piece so that when it was open and you look at the bottom edge of the card it looks like to Z's
I applied glue to the left hand edge of the small piece and attached it on top of the folded back front section of the card base. I then attached the other end of the smaller piece to the card base so that it sat flat and still allowed the card to open.

To decorate the card I used a piece of chipboard from Mixed Media Fragments - Retro by Gina's Designs. There were four of the stylised snowflakes joined together, I cut one off, painted it with Apricot Preserves acrylic paint and added a coat of Glossy Accents.

The silk flower was cut from a larger flower cluster.
 The black flower shaped decorations came from a previous kit.

The greeting was heat embossed using a Woodware stamp called Boxed Greetings. I stamped with Versamark ink and embossed using black superfine embossing powder. I fussy cut the greeting and attached it to the front panel of the card




Card No. 2 Double Gate Fold card


All of the patterned papers on this card have had the edges inked with a black ink cube.

The card base for this card measures 5" x 12" and is scored at 1", 3.5", 8.5" and 11"

I used a Martha Stewart punch to punch the two outside edges on the 5" lengths.

Make a mountain fold at the 1" score line, a valley fold at the 3.5" score line, another valley fold at the 8.5" score line and a mountain fold at the 11" score line.

I also punched two strips of patterned paper then trimmed them down to 0.75" x 5". These were attached to the scalloped section of the card base.

To create the sliding closure, cut three squares 3" in size, score two of them at 1.5". Fold and burnish on the fold lines.
Attach one of the folded pieces on top of one of the flat pieced so the fold is in the centre of the flat square, ensure the edges are lined up perfectly. 
Next attach the second folded piece so the two folds are touching each other, once again ensuring the edges are lined up.
Now attach the last flat piece directly on top of the two folded squares.
This makes the sliding closure panel.

I have used the same patterned paper on the inside and outside of this card.
The inside papers are one piece 4.75" square and two pieces 2.25" x 4.75"
The outside papers are 2 pieces 2.25" x 5"  
The patterned paper for the closure panel is 2.75" square.

To create the flowers to decorate the closure panel I have heat embossed two flowers using Woodware's Five Daisies stamp, Versamark Embossing ink and black Super Fine Embossing Powder, on two different coloured papers.
I created two of each colour, fussy cut them, shaped them and then layered the two flowers, staggering them so the petals did not sit directly on top of each other. I added some small foam squares between the layers of the petals so they would always have some dimension.
A large clear gem was added to the centre of each flower
The flowers were then attached to the closure panel

The greeting, which is on the inside centre panel is a clear sticker from 13@rts His & Hers Remastered clear sticker sheet. It says "Make A Wish"




Card No. 3 Double Zig Zag


All of the patterned paper on this card has had the edges inked with a black ink cube.

The card base for this is 5" x 20"
I used 2 A4 sheets of cardstock. I cut one 5" x 10" and one 5" x 10.25".
I applied a strip of 0.25" double sided tape to the 5" width of the 10.25" piece of cardstock and then layed the 10" piece on top of it so the edge of the cardstock ran along the inside edge of the double sided tape.

To score this card score at 2.5", 5" and 7.5" rotate the card and score at 2.5", 5" and 7.5" again.

I measured up 2.5" on both outside edges and then drew a line from this mark to the top of the 7.5" score lines on both sides. I then cut this off using my trimmer. You could cut it off with scissors but I can not cut a straight line with scissors to save myself

To fold the card I started at the 7.5" score line and folded the outside edge into the middle then I worked my way out to the edges folding in the opposite direction to the last fold. I did the same thing for the other side.

I cut patterned paper for both the front and back panels of my card but you could just do the fronts if you preferred.
To get my sizing right I cut all of the panels to the width of the panel minus 0.25" then I cut the length to the longest measurement of the panel minus 0.25".
I held this piece of patterned paper against the panel and marked where I wanted to cut the lower end of the slope with a pencil then cut from the tallest point down to my pencil mark. I did this for each panel

These were then attached to the card base.

To create the sentiment panel I cut a piece of white cardstock 3" x 1" and two pieces of patterned paper 2.75" x 0.75". 
One of the patterned papers was attached to the back of the white cardstock piece.

I used Hero Arts C5594 Happy Birthday stamp and Jet Black StaZon Ink to stamp the greeting on the other piece of patterned paper. This was then attached to the front of the white cardstock and then attached to the left hand front panel of the card

I had a piece of the punched cardstock left over from the previous card so I attached that to the bottom of the inside back panel, applying glue to only the bottom and two side to make a tiny pocket.
I then used white cardstock measuring 2.5" x 3.5" to make a tag. I added and eyelet using my Crop-a-Dile and some black crochet cotton. This will sit in the tiny pocket and give me a place to write my personal message.

The flowers to decorate this card were created using Picket Fence Studio's Flowers For Picking stamp and Jet Black StaZon ink. Each flower has two layers and there are 17 flowers. I used an assortment of patterned papers so I would have a variety of colours.
After I had shaped and assembled the flowers I added them to the top edges of the card so they cascaded down the card.
 To finish them off I added a clear gem to the centre of each flower




Here is the video that shows how I made the cards so if you have any questions you may find your answer in the video. Alternatively, you can ask in the comments and I will get back to as quickly as I can.



This is a very long post and I thank you for staying with me till the end.

Till next time
Stay safe
Hugs
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment