Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Flightless Art Journal Page

Good morning,

Today's share is an art journal page featuring an Emu head. I have chosen the emu because it is a flightless bird, a bit like all at the moment with the Covid-19 virus and the way it is affecting our lives.

I did want to make it colourful though.

You can watch the video on my YouTube channel

I am using watercolour paper for this page which is going to go in my ring bound journal. The page is 8.75" x 8.25".

The background is black gesso.

The image of the emu came from a website called Vector Stock. I printed it onto normal copier paper and then fussy cut it and attached it to the page using Atelier Regular Gel (Gloss).

Once this was dry I used a couple of clear stamps and Encore gold ink and stamped over the whole area, wiping any off that got onto the emu. In hind sight I could have left it on there because the acrylic paint would have probably covered it.

Some splatters with Solid Gold and Titanium White watered down acrylic paints completed the background.

I started colouring the emu by watering down some Sunshine Yellow acrylic paint and giving the feather area of the emu a coat.

I gave the beak and eye rims a coat of watered down Elephant Grey acrylic paint.

Once this was dry I used Sunshine Yellow, Red Carnation and Sunrise Orange acrylic paints and a liner brush to draw the spikey feathers onto the emu.

I also added some lines to the feather area with my Zig Opaque Writer 0.5mm Pure Black pen and my White Gel Pen.



I watered down some of the yellow and gave the beak a light coat.

To colour the eyes I mixed some of the red and orange acrylic paint together.

Details and shading was added to the emu's face with black acrylic paint and white gel pen

The double squiggly line around the edge of the page was added using my fineline bottle that hold watered down white acrylic paint.

The title was cut on my ScanN Cut. I cut it in both white and gold cardstock as I wasn't sure which way I wanted to go but decided to go with the white because the gold blended in to the background too much. I have added a squiggly line to the edges of the letters so that it blends into the background a little and looked like it belonged there and not just plonked on for the sake of it.

I hope you have enjoyed looking at my page, don't forget to check out the video

Thank you for spending your time here with me today.
Till next time
Hugs
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment