Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Book Cover

Hi there

Today I am sharing with you a book cover I have done on a notebook I have decided to keep for all those handy things you want to remember

Quite often when I am looking at YouTube or other social media I might see a quote I like or a technique that I would like to try, I write these things down on scraps of paper and promptly loose them so I have decided to gather them all up and put them in a book that I can refer to when I am looking for some inspiration.

The book I am using is a spiral bound book from Typo and I did not like the cover at all.

You can see the process video here.


Once I had removed the cover from the book by opening the spiral a little, I applied two coats of Gesso to completely blank out the background that was there.

Using Glimmermist Pumpkin Spice and Artiste Ink Spray in Cardinal Red I gave the cover a very liberal spray so there was lots of liquid colour on the cover and then I laid a layer of cling wrap on top of this and scrunched it up. This was set aside to dry. I usually leave this overnight but I was in a hurry with this one and only left it for about 6 hours. It was still a bit damp when I took the cling wrap off.

To make the smaller circles I used a shaded circles stamp and Jet Black StaZon ink to stamp on some scrap watercolour paper. These were then coloured using Twinkling H2O's. The colours I used are Pink Azalea, Fern, Ginger Peach, Snap Dragon, Wild Blueberry, Solar Gold and Lemon Drop.

The larger circles were cut using my Spellbinders Standard Circles Small dies and some white cardstock. To add some interest to the background of the circles I stamped with StaZon ink and Kazazz Life's Moments, Kaisercraft's Numbers and Deep Red Water Droplets stamps.
These were coloured using the same Twinkling H2O's as the other circles.

I added more texture to the background by putting Gesso through Kaisercraft's "Grunge" stencil, this blended into the background more than I wanted it to so I also added some Modelling Paste through a stencil of small squares.

I used Matt Gel Medium to attach the circles to the cover.

I wanted more black in the background so I used Kaisercraft's "Arty" stamp and StaZon ink to stamp randomly trying to avoid getting it on the circles. I should have done this stamping before I attached the circles but didn't think of it.

I had just bought a new charcoal pencil so I used that to shade around the outside of each of the circles.

I used an Art Studio .4 permanent marker, a Posca white paint pen and a Signo white pen to detail/highlight the circles.

Using a black Stabilo All pencil and a wet brush I created a border around the cover.

The final touch was to water down some gold acrylic paint and use my fan brush to make splatters all over the cover.

Thank you for spending some of your day here with me today.

If you have a few spare minutes pop over to my YouTube channel and check out the video.

Till next time
Hugs
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment