Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Dare to Fly Art Journal page

Good morning

Today I am sharing an art journal page. I have not done a page for sooo long and wanted to get back into it.

I created a video while I was making this page. You can see it here

This page is in my 11.5" x 8" Ranger journal so is quite a large page.

I have used Pan Pastels for all of the colour on this page. I have had them for a very long time and have not used them. I have to say they are my new favourites as the colour is so bright and intense.


I started by giving the page a coat of gesso. I am very glad I did, the colour went on so smoothly. 
I used Dairylide Yellow, Orange and Permanent Red for the background and applied it with a sponge.

I sprayed it with water to seal it but I was to later find that it still moves when wet medium is applied on top of it.

Some stamping was then added to the background using Kazazz - Life's Moments Background stamp and Ranger's Anatomy of A Page stamp and Stayzon black ink.

Next I  used some Modelling Paste, which dries white, and a 13@rts stencil randomly for a bit of a lift.

Final step was to water down some black, white and gold acrylic paint and splatter that on the page using my fan brush.



To make the feathers I used some watercolour paper and Pan Pastels. This is where I realised how well the Pan Pastels went over Gesso because I did not Gesso the water colour paper and it took more colour to get coverage and it was harder to blend the colours together.

The colours I used for the feathers are, Violet, Phthalo Blue Tint, Turquoise, Phthalo Blue, Hansa Yellow, Permanent Green Tint, and Permanent Green

I had a cardboard template of the feathers, I cannot remember where I got these from, so I drew around them with a pencil and then cut them out by hand.

Using Deep Red's Water Droplets Background stamp and some black Stayzon and gold inks I stamped onto the feathers

I then used my Stabilo All pencil in black and a water brush to give the feathers some detail

For a bit of added dimension I tied some black crochet cotton around the top of each feather.



The feathers were attached to the page using Matt Gel Medium, this was a big mistake. I had to be very careful as I found that the Pan Pastels moved when the gel medium was applied. 

I also was too heavy handed with the gel medium when I applied it to the top of the feathers and it dulled the colour. This meant I had to recolour and restamp the feathers being careful not to get anything on the background. I believe you can seal the PanPastels using hairspray. I am going to try that before I get into another mess with them.

I wanted to add a border to the page but not one that was too heavy. I used a Ranger stamp and Stayzon ink and stamped around the page.

I found the quote on the internet. It is by Cass Van Krah and I thought it was fitting for this page.
I printed it onto some normal printer paper and then I coloured the paper using the same Pan Pastels that I used on the background of the page because I did not want the white background of the text to stand out. I attached the quote to the page using glue....lesson learned.

To finish off I used an Artline permanent marker, a Micron fine line pen and my white gel pen to add some detail here and there to the feathers and the quote.


For more detail and to watch the creative process pop over to my YouTube channel and watch the video. Here is a link.

Please don't forget to subscribe if you haven't already and I would love it if you would share the video with your friends.

Thanks for dropping by
Till next time
Hugs
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment