Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Imagine Art Journal Page

Good morning.

Today I am talking about an art journal page I have created.

This is the first page in my disc bound notebook. I purchased a Happy Planner Notebook to use for an art journal. I was not sure about the thickness of the pages before I bought it so I was not surprised that I have to stick two pages together to make it sturdy enough for my liking. I did this with Gel Medium.

My plan is to leave the backs of the pages blank so I can write on there the products I have used. I have got plenty of pages that I do not know what I have used on them so if I want to reproduce the technique I don't know where to start.

You can watch the video here if you want to see how this page came together.


To start my page I covered the background with book paper using Atelier Heavy Gel Gloss. The text was very dark so I gave it two coats of Gesso. This actually turned out to be too many, I should have stuck with just the one coat, as when the Gesso was dry and the inks were applied on top of it the text was completely covered.

I used Distress Inks as the base colours for the background. The colours I used were Broken China, Twisted Citron, Peeled Paint, Mustard Seed and Scattered Straw. I applied the colour with a blending tool.

Using Dylusions Mini Stencil - Diamonds In The Rough I applied some Broken China and some Black Soot Distress Inks randomly through the stencil.

More dimension for the background was created by stamping. I used Kaisercraft's - Stains clear stamp and the Black Soot Distress Ink first and then the same stamp with my Encore Gold Ink

Next I used both Black Soot and Broken China Distress Inks, with a Deep Red stamp called Water Droplets Background, randomly on the background.

Now that my background is finished I gave it a coat of Boyle's Clear Matt Spray sealer. The Distress Inks re-activate when they get wet and I did not want them moving around  as I continued with the page.


For my focal points I used Kaisercraft's Child Play clear stamps. I cut the centre out of the largest circle stamp to make two stamps and with my Stazon Ink Jet Black I stamped the circles onto my page. I wanted it to look like some of the circle were behind others so I cut a mask so I could stamp on top of any circle and not have the overlap show.

The centres of the circles got two coats of Gesso so that the colour I applied to them would be true.

I used acrylic paints, Duncan Sunshine Yellow, Duncan Sunrise Orange and DecoArts Christmas Red to fill in the centres of the circles, blending them together as I went.

When the acrylic paint was dry I used my Fude Ball pen to doodle on the circles and doodle a border around the page. I thought the Fude Ball pen was waterproof (it says it is on the pen) but I found out it was not when I wiped over it with a baby wipe after it was dry and it smudged.

I wanted to add some white next so I used some Scribbles SC110 in White (this is similar to Stickles but from my ceramic days) to add dot and lines to the circles. I also used some watered down white acrylic paint in my Fine Line bottle to draw around the circles and around the page.

To finish the page off I used some Sizzix - Background Weave rub-ons on the background and a Kaisercraft SB522 Inspiration Rub-On which said Imagine for my title. The title does not stand out but it is there if you are looking for it.

Wow this is a very long post so if you have made it this far thank you for sticking with me.

The video is quite short, I try to keep them all under 15 mins, so why not pop over and check it out.

Thank you for spending some of your day here with me.

Till next week
Hugs
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment