Wednesday, June 10, 2020

There Are Always Flowers Art Journal Page

Good morning.

It is Wednesday and that means a new Blog post. Today I am sharing an art journal page with you.

This page is in my self made ring bound journal. I have cut watercolour paper to 8.75" x 8.25", rounded the corners and punched four hole in one of the shorter edges 1/2" in from the edge.

The page has had a coat of Gesso to create a nice surface to take the products that will be used. I do this in advance so it is dry when I come to use it. It is not necessary to Gesso every page but I do prefer using Gessoed pages.

I recorded the process while I was making this page and you can see the video on my YouTube channel here.


To colour the background I have used Silks. I have had these for many years and am not sure if they are still around. They are an acrylic glaze and have a beautiful sheen to them.

The colours I have used are Sunflower, Raspberry Wine and Snap Dragon. I started using a brush to apply the colour then used my finger to apply more colour and blend the colours together.

When the silks were dry I used StazOn Jet Black ink and Kazzaz's Life's Moments Background stamp to add a little more detail to the background.

This was followed by some white splatters using 13@rts Ayeeda Ink in White which I watered down and added with my fan brush.

I used Heartfelt Creations Daisy Patch Flowers stamp to create a mask for each size of the flowers before stamping the flowers onto the page using StazOn Jet Black ink and the masks so it looked like some of the flowers were in the background.

Using an assortment of different sized soft brushes I added a coat of Gesso to the whole background so only the flowers were left in full colour. The Gesso toned down the background but allowed some of the colour to show through. It also took away the sheen leaving the background flat and the flowers with the lovely sheen.


I used a mixture of an Ultra Fine black Sharpie permanent marker and an Art Studio permanent black marker 0.4mm in black to outline and detail all of the flowers.

The centres of each of the flowers are a mixture of the white 13@rts Ayeeda Ink, the Sunflower Silks and black acrylic paint.

I have a fineliner bottle that I keep watered down black acrylic paint in and I used that to put a scribbly black boarder around the page.

The quote on the page is a print from the internet that I have cut into strips and attached to the page using Mat Gel Medium. I used my black acrylic bottle to put a scribbly boarded around the quote to tie it into the page.

I hope you have enjoyed reading about my page today, don't forget to check out the video here.

Thank you for spending a part of your day here with me today.
Till next time
Stay Safe
Hugs
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment