Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Let Your Heart Take Flight Art Journal page.

Good morning.

Today's post is about an art journal page I created. This page did not start out like this. I was three quarters of the way through the page and decided that I did not like it so gave it a couple of coats of Gesso and started again. 

You can watch the video for this page here if you would like. I might be easier to follow.


Once the Gesso had dried I used Kaisercraft's Tribal Collage stencil and Mont Marte Modelling paste to randomly place more texture on the background.

To colour the background I used three blue acrylic paints and a sponge to cover the top two thirds of the page and three green acrylic paints to cover the bottom area. I used a baby wipe to remove some of the paint from the raised areas on the page.

The paints I used are Duncan brand and are from my ceramic days over 25 years ago. The colours are True Blue, Summer Blue, Navy, Chiffon Green, Spring Green and Deep Turquoise.

Deep Red's Water Droplet Background stamp was used to stamp randomly over the background with Jet Black Archival Ink. I also used Donna Salazar's Twiggy stamp and Fern Green Archival ink to stamp over the green section of the page, coming up slightly into the blue area to give the look of grass.

My original page used houses as the focal point but I decided to go for something a bit smaller and found some images of bird houses on the internet at Dreamtime.com. I printed the images out, scanned them into my computer and resized them to the size I thought would be suitable. I printed a couple out, one larger than the other, onto white card stock and fussy cut them out.

To make the posts for the bird houses I stamped Kaisercraft's Woodgrain Stamp onto some cardstock using StazOn Jet Black ink

So if you have bird houses you have to have birds right. I stamped Dylusion's Put a Bird on It birds onto white cardstock and fussy cut them out too.

I used Derivan Matisse Matt Medium to collage all of the images on to the page.

Once the Matt Medium had dried I used my Twinkling H2O's to colour all of the images.

I have used Ginger Peach, Cinnamon Stick, Pink Azalea Ruby Red, Burnt Umber, Butterscothch, Majestic Blue, Mustard Green, Copper Penny, Snap Dragon, Irish Mist and Lemon Drop.



I used my alcohol marker to shade the images so they had a bit more depth to them.
A combination of my Zig fineline marker and The Art Studio's Permanent Marker, both in black, were used to outline and add detail all of the images.

I wanted to use my Faber Castell Big Brush markers to shade around the outside of the images so I gave my page a spray with Boyle's Clear Matt Spray so none of the colour would reactivate and smudge as I did the shading.

All of the shading was done with the Dark Indigo Big Brush Marker.

I keep some slightly watered down acrylic paint in both black and white in a fineliner bottle so I used both of these to add a border around the outside edge of the page.


The page was looking a bit too dark and I wanted to add a bit of a lift. I used a couple of paper punches and punched some flowers, in different sizes, from white cardstock.

These were attached to the page using Aileen's Original Tacky Glue. The yellow centres are Bright Yellow Scribbles, another product from my ceramic days, which is similar to Nuvo Drops.

To create the quote for the page I used a clear stamp that came with a magazine at some stage, stamped this onto some white cardstock with the black StazOn ink and cut it up to the sizes I wanted. The pieces were attache using Matt Medium. Once they were dry I used the black fineliner bottle to give each word a rough outline.

That completed this page. I have to say it did take me quite a while, but I am happy with it now.

Don't forget, pop over and check out my video if you have time.

Thanks for spending part of your day here with me today

Till next time
Stay Safe
Hugs
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment